News Ticker
  • Welcome to the Community
  • Use the forum to troubleshoot your Excel & VBA Problems
  • We will be launching a new website soon! www.ExcelWTF.com/Learn ! Join us to learn VBA from the ground up!
McQuads87

Excel Macros / VBA - External Applications / Terminals

Question

Hey everybody!

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to use an Excel macro to communicate with an external application. In this particular case I am wanting excel to basically copy and paste information from completed cells to a mainframe application. One with multiple screens.

For example, let's say I was needing to make 30 accounts using the mainframe, and each account has specific fields that need to be filled in (Acct #, various sales codes etc.); I would like to make a spreadsheet with labelled columns for each specific field that needs to be filled in, the user could input all the necessary information for all the accounts in the spreadsheet, press a Run Macro button, and have the process run in the background saving loads of time wasted on very manual data entry. I'm assuming VBA would work for this...

I do know the application we are using to access our mainframe (Microfocus RUMBA+) has the ability to run it's own internal macros as well, and there are a few very basic interactions it can perform "right out of the box" so to speak with Microsoft products (exporting screen data to excel etc.). I know something like this is definitely possible as I've seen it in previous workplaces with similar applications.

Could the starting place be as simple as Set IE = CreateObject ("Rumba.application")? I'm guessing there are some simple solutions and a couple more advanced ones, and pros & cons to both. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

-Dane

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet