News Ticker
  • Welcome to the Community
  • Use the forum to troubleshoot your Excel & VBA Problems
  • We will be launching a new website soon! www.ExcelWTF.com/Learn ! Join us to learn VBA from the ground up!
RareNasturtium

Change Dr to Drive

Question

Hey Everyone

I have a spreadsheet with about 44,000 rows in it.  The address column has short forms like Rd for Road and Dr for Drive.  I'd like to convert all short forms.  My problem is find and replace won't work on things like St without also affecting street names that start with St. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to tackle this beast?  

1 answer to this question

If you use Find & Select / Replace on the column that contains the addresses you should be able to replace St without problem. Replace recognizes spaces. I assume that your street names that begin with St. will not have a space before St, whereas Something St does have a space before St, so in Find what: you type " St" (without the quote marks but with a space before the S) and in Replace with: you type " Street" (again, without the quote marks but with a space before the S). That should fix the street names and leave names like St. Peter unchanged.